Oil on paper mounted on panel
20 x 28¼ in.
50.8 x 71.8 cm
Signed, dated and inscribed front lower right: Philip Guston '71 ROMA; inscribed on reverse: PHILIP GUSTON (underlined)/ "ANCIENT ROCK, OSTIA" '20 x 28 (underlined)/ OIL ON PAPER - MOUNTED ON BOARD (underlined)
- Private Collection, Chicago, Illinois
- Auction: Sotheby's, New York, Contemporary Art Day Auction, November 18, 2016, Lot 115
- Courtesy of the Kasle Family, Detroit, Mich.
- Private Collection
- Museo Carlo Bilotti, Roma, Italy, "Philip Guston: Roma", May 25, 2010 - September 05, 2010 Travelled to:
- Hauser & Wirth, Los Angeles, CA, "Resilience: Philip Guston in 1971", September 14, 2019 - January 05, 2020
- Vallora, Marco. "Al Museo Bilotti un protagonista del dopoguerra." La Stampa (Turin), August 8, 2010, illus. in color
- Miller, Peter Benson, ed. Philip Guston Roma. Exh. cat. Ostfildern: Hatje Cantz Verlag, 2010, cat. no. 31, illus. in color p. 189, and illus. in color p. 73, Fig. 38 and mentioned in text pp. 71-72 (Peter Benson Miller essay)
- Philip Guston, Roma. Washington D.C.: The Phillips Collection, February 24, 2011. Video, illus. in color and in detail
- Lindquist, Greg. "Piero and Pastrami: Guston in Rome." Artcritical, April 18, 2011. Online, mentioned in text, not illus.
- Mayer, Musa. Resilience: Philip Guston in 1971. Exh. cat. Zurich: Hauser & Wirth Publishers, 2019, illus. in color p. 53